Step into the Past with History-Focused Tours
Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Easton with State Representative Bob Freeman
- Location: Tour meets at the Information Tent in Centre Square
- Hours: 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. (each tour lasts about 1- 1.5 hour)
The Sigal Museum
The Sigal Museum will be open from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Admission to the Sigal Museum will be free, but visitors can purchase a $5 wristband for access to all historic structures.
Heritage Day will be your last chance to see our temporary exhibit, Another American’s Autobiography: Selections from the Petrucci Family Foundation Collection of African American Art. Read more about the exhibit here.
Image: Steven Cozart, “Judgement 1”, Acrylic on panel, 2015, 24 x 36 in
The 1753 Bachmann PublickHouse
- This stone tavern, built in 1753 by Jacob and Katrina Bachmann, stands at the corner of Fermor (now Second) and Northampton Streets. Local politicians met here to exchange news or to conduct meetings, and the tavern hosted important dignitaries like John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. The building also serves as the site of the first courtroom in Northampton County.
- The Bachmann Publick House (at 169 Northampton Street) will be open for tours from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Enjoy an afternoon with John Adams as he discusses the revolutionary politics of 1776! John Adams is portrayed by Christopher Black of the Bachmann Players. Appearances at 2:00 and 3:00 PM
The 1833 Mixsell-Illick House
- Located at Fourth & Ferry Streets, the Mixsell-Illick House long served as the headquarters of Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society, until the opening of the Sigal Museum in 2010. In 1928, sisters Emilie Mixsell Lalor and Mary Mixsell gifted the Society with their grandfather’s Victorian residence. This two and one-half story structure was to remain the home of the Society for the next 80 years.
- Hours: 1 – 6 p.m.
The Jacob Nicholas House
- The Jacob Nicholas House is one of the only buildings remaining in Easton from the Federal Period. Still retaining its original stone entryway, the building is notable for always being the home of a working class family.
- Hours: 1 – 6 p.m.
- The Parsons-Taylor House was built in 1757 by Surveyor-General William Parsons and was later rented by George Taylor until his death in 1781. Taylor is noted as one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, a member of the Continental Congress, and an ironmaster who aided in the American Revolutionary War effort.
- Hours: 12 – 4 p.m.
First United Church of Christ (229 Church St.)
First United Church of Christ of Easton (aka: First U.C.C. or First Church) was established in 1745. First Church was the outcome of over 30 years of work and effort by the German Reformed congregation. As early as 1745-50, even before the founding of Easton, this congregation was organized in the Forks of the Delaware region.
Hours: 11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Trinity Episcopal Church (234 Spring Garden St.)
Founded in 1819, the current Gothic Revival building was consecrated in 1874. During the early 20th century, a legacy of artistic installations using ecclesiastical symbolism and designs have made Trinity renown as Easton’s most beautifully decorated church. Come experience the stories of stained glass windows, a Mercer Tile Floor designed with ancient symbols, an ironwork Rood Screen for spiritual journeys, and an extraordinary array of work from the D’Ascenzo Studios of Philadelphia.
Hours: Noon – 4 p.m.
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (330 Ferry St.)
St. John’s was organized in 1740 by early German settlers. Lutherans have worshipped
in the present building since 1832. Plan a visit on Heritage Day. Tours will be given in
the mystic Grave Cellar. The Gallery will present a showing of political cartoons seen in
the Easton Times during the 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s drawn by Stewart Parnell Lewis.
An archival photographic display can be viewed in the Chapel. Learn the stories of St.
John’s Gospel etched into the windows of our Worship space.
Hours: 11:30 am – 5:30 pm